Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Shutdown your Computer when you are away from it

We will use Window's inbuilt Task Scheduler. Usually you can find it under :Start >> Program >> Accessories >> SystemTools >> Scheduled TasksSo how do we shutdown our computer at specified time? Well, for me many times I goto bed and forgets to turn off computer. So I have set my computer to shutdown at 2:00 am because even if I am going to work late, I avoid working after 2:00 am though I always want to set 12:00 am as deadline.. So 2:00 am is what when I need my computer to get turned off. We are now going to do it stepwise :Start Task Scheduler by :Step 1Start >> Program >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Scheduled TasksStep 2Click File >> New >> Sheduled Task

Now give whatever name you want to give to your schedule task, I gave "Shutdown at 2 am".Step 3Now "Double Click" or "right click" on newly created scheduled task and goto its "Properties". It will then show new window.It has three TABs. Look for "TASK" tab which is the first one.On TASK tab, we have to provide following details under fields:In Run field:
Code:
E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 50
In Start in field:
Code:E:\WINDOWS\system32


Step 4Now Schedule tab, we have to set the time and frequency.Set daily under Scheduled Tasks and set 2:00 Am under Start Time.

Press OK and All done !Now whenever it is 2:00 am and computer is running, it will show a small window telling you that in 50 seconds computer will shutdown, you may save if any existing work is there. Btw, you can change 50 seconds to whatever you want by changing:
Code:
E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 50
to 30 or 10 whatever second in step there.So that was a small Tutorial which called TIP on eTI. If you enjoyed it then consider leaving some comments.Thankyou!

No comments:

Post a Comment